When it comes to learning German, there are a variety of different methods that you can use. You can attend a traditional in-person class, or you can take an online course. There are also many materials available online for free, such as websites and audio recordings.
No matter what your learning style is or how much time you have to devote to studying, there is a method of learning German that will work for you. In this article, we'll discuss the best ways to learn German online, and we'll provide helpful tips for making the most out of each method. Read on!
Try Online Courses
Online German language courses are one of the best ways to go for learning German. They offer a great combination of flexibility and structure, and they're perfect for students of all ages and levels. Here are some reasons why online courses are a great way to learn German:
- They're Flexible: Online courses allow you to study at your own pace, which is perfect for busy students and professionals. You can choose when and where you want to study and have a lot of control over your learning experience.
- They're Structured: Although they're flexible, online courses still offer a lot of structure. Each course has a specific curriculum that often covers all the basics of German grammar and vocabulary. This ensures that you'll learn everything you need to know in order to speak and understand the language.
- They're Made for Everyone: Online courses are perfect for students of all ages and levels. Whether you're a beginner or an advanced learner, there's a course that will fit your needs. Courses are also available for children as young as 7 years old, so parents can start teaching their kids German at an early age.
- They're Affordable: Many online courses are affordable, especially compared to traditional in-person classes. This makes them a great option for students on a budget.
How to Make the Most Out of Language Courses
Now that you know some of the benefits of taking an online course, let's discuss how you can get the most out of a German language course. Here are a few tips:
1. Choose a course that's appropriate for your level: One of the most important things to do when choosing an online course is to make sure that it's appropriate for your experience level. If you're a beginner, look for a course that covers basic grammar and vocabulary. If you're an advanced learner, look for a course with more challenging, in-depth material.
2. Find a course that fits your learning style: Everyone learns differently, so it's important to find a course that fits your learning style. For example, if you're a visual learner, look for a course that uses a lot of videos or images, and if you're an auditory learner, there are many courses based on audio recordings.
3. Create a study schedule: One of the best ways to make sure you stick with your course is to create a study schedule. Decide how much time you want to spend studying each day or week – and try to stick to it. Scheduling your learning process will help you stay on track and make the most out of your learning experience.
4. Practice, practice, practice: The best way to learn German is to practice as often as possible. Try to use the language every day, even if it's just in simple conversations with friends or family, or talking to yourself in a mirror. The more you practice, the better you'll become at using German in regular life.
Consider Language Learning Apps
Language learning apps are another great way to learn German online. They're perfect for busy people who want to squeeze in a few minutes of studying here and there. And, like online courses, they're also appropriate for all ages and levels. Here are some reasons why language learning apps are a great way to learn German:
- They're Portable: Language learning apps can be used on your phone or tablet, which means you can take them with you anywhere you go. This is perfect for busy people who want to study on the go.
- They're Interactive: Most language learning apps use an interactive teaching approach, which is proven to be more effective than traditional methods. This means that you might be able to learn German more quickly and effectively.
- They're Affordable: Many language learning apps are free or very affordable. They are often cheaper than online courses or personal lessons, which makes them a great option for students on a budget.
- They Make Learning Fun: Language learning apps often use games and other activities, such as reading short stories, to make learning German fun and engaging. This is perfect for students who get bored easily or have trouble staying motivated.
How to Make the Most Out of Language Apps
Here are a few tips for making language learning apps more effective:
1. Use them regularly: The best way to make the most out of language learning apps is to use them regularly. Try to use them every day, even if it's just for a few minutes. The more you practice your German, the better you'll become at speaking and understanding it.
2. Follow the lessons: Many language learning apps have lessons that guide you through the learning process. Make sure to follow the plan closely without skipping, so you can learn German more effectively.
3. Use flashcards: Most language learning apps have a flashcard feature that allows you to practice words and phrases from previous lessons. Flashcards are a great way to practice your vocabulary skills – use them often to boost your knowledge of German words and phrases.
Find Free Online Materials
In addition to courses and apps, there are also many online platforms that offer free materials you can use to learn German. They might not provide you with proper language lessons, but you can find a lot of dictionaries, grammar points, audio recordings, or simple exercises for self-practice.
These materials are often created by language schools or universities, so they can be of high quality; however, there are also many free materials from unreliable sources. The better the source, the more effective your learning process will be, so make sure to do some research before settling on a certain platform.
Here are two of the most popular places to find free online German learning materials:
- The Goethe-Institut: The Goethe-Institut is a German cultural association that offers a wide range of resources for German learners, including online courses, exercises, and audio recordings. There’s even a whole section dedicated to German culture, which means you can learn more not just about the language, but about the country itself.
- Deutsche Welle: Deutsche Welle is a German public broadcaster that offers news, information, and educational content in German and other languages. They have a section specifically for German learners, with materials for all levels. You can also take a placement test on their website to figure out your current level of German knowledge.
How to Make Learning With Free Materials More Effective
1. Choose materials that are appropriate for your level: One of the most important things to do when using free online materials is to make sure you choose materials that are appropriate for your level. If the material is too difficult, you'll get frustrated and give up. If it's too easy, you simply won't learn anything new.
2. Set aside time to study: Learning a language takes time and effort. Make sure to set aside some time each day to study German so you can make progress.
3. Be patient: Learning a new language can be challenging, so it's important to be patient with yourself – especially if you’re self-learning. Don't get discouraged if you don't understand something right away. Just keep practicing and doing your research, and you'll eventually get it.
4. Practice, practice, practice: We won’t stop saying that the best way to learn German is to practice as much as possible. Find a native speaker to talk to, or use the materials you're learning from to practice writing and speaking. The more you practice, the better you'll become at using the language.
In addition to courses, apps, and free online materials, another great way to learn German is to watch YouTube videos. There are many channels that offer German lessons for all levels, so you can find something that's just right for you. Plus, watching videos is a fun and easy way to learn.
Here are some of our favorite YouTube channels for learning German:
- GERMANPOD101: This YouTube channel offers a lot of short, simple, and fun videos that should help you boost your listening comprehension, pronunciation, and speaking. It can be a perfect tool for beginning learners who want to boost their vocabulary with the experience of attending an online German class.
- Easy German: Easy German doesn’t offer traditional German lessons. Instead, you can find short real-life videos there, where native German speakers talk about different topics, such as food, romance, money, or lifestyle.
- Learn German with Herr Antrim: Learn German with Herr Antrim is a channel for beginning and intermediate learners. The lessons are college-like, but don’t worry: they won’t make you bored. With Herr Antrim, you’ll learn all the necessary language skills in a nicely structured way.
For more information on learning German with YouTube, check out our list of the other channels that might help you on your German language learning journey.
Best Tips for Making the Most Out of Learning with YouTube
When using YouTube to learn German, be sure to:
1. Choose appropriate videos: Just as with any other type of learning material, it's important to choose appropriate videos when learning German from YouTube. Make sure the videos are at your level and focus on topics that interest you.
2. Watch regularly: To make the most out of learning with YouTube, be sure to watch videos regularly. This will help you keep up with the material and improve your German skills over time.
3. Take notes: When watching videos, take notes on the new words and phrases you learn. This will help you remember them better, get the information structured in your head, and make it easier to review it later.
Enjoy German Content
When learning a new language, it can be helpful to expose yourself to content in that language. Watching movies, listening to music, and reading articles are all great ways to improve your German skills. And, since there is so much great content available online, learning German has never been easier!
By watching movies and TV shows in German, you can improve your understanding of real-life German speech. Listening to German music can help you learn about the rhythms and sounds of the German language, and reading articles or stories in German can give you a better understanding of complex topics and idiomatic expressions.
How to Make the Most Out Of Learning with German Content
1. Start with subtitles: When watching German movies or TV shows, it can be helpful to start with subtitles in your native language. This will help you follow along and understand what is happening. As you become more comfortable, you can try turning off the subtitles and just listening to the German speech used by native speakers.
2. Find content that interests you: Learning German will be more enjoyable if you're interested in the topic of the movie or show you're watching. If you're not sure where to start, try looking for movies or shows that cover current events, pop culture, or your hobbies. And, if you want to start with something simple and engaging, consider watching animated movies.
3. Set aside some time to watch/listen/read: It can be difficult to find time to watch a whole movie or tv episode, especially if they're long. Try to set aside some time each day or week to enjoy your chosen German content. This way, you can make consistent progress in your German skills without overworking yourself.
4. Take breaks and review often: Don't try to watch an entire movie or tv episode in one sitting! Not only will this be overwhelming, but you're likely to miss important details. Instead, take breaks often and review what you've seen/heard. You can also rewind difficult sections and watch/listen to them again.
What is Your Best Way to Learn a Language Online?
Learning German can be a challenge, but there are many resources available to help you succeed. With a little effort and dedication, you can start speaking German quickly and effectively.
Just remember that no one method of learning a language works for everyone. It's important to find the method that fits your unique needs and learning style, and then practice regularly. It’s also a good idea to mix several methods – for example, sign up for online German classes and use Langster to practice in your free time. With some patience and persistence, you'll be speaking German like a pro in no time!